The Better Choices, Better Health® Online Self-Management Program, is the online version of the internationally recognised Chronic Disease Self-Management Program, developed and tested at the Stanford University Patient Education Centre.
This is a free, six-session, asynchronous web-based program offered on a dedicated website
that meets government privacy requirements. It is open to BC adults of
all ages living with one or more ongoing health conditions. A computer
and internet connection are required; no web-cams needed; and participants do not need to be online at the same time.
In this group (max. 25 participants), moderated by two trained peer facilitators, you will learn about:
- Techniques to deal with problems such as frustration, fatigue, pain and isolation
- Appropriate exercise for maintaining and improving strength, flexibility, and endurance
- Appropriate use of medications
- Communicating effectively with family, friends, and health professionals
- Healthy eating
- Making informed treatment decisions
- Disease-related problem solving
- Advanced directives
The Better Choices, Better Health Program enhances regular treatment and disease-specific education.
Sessions are highly participative through internal messaging and
online discussion boards. Log in at your convenience for about 1.5 to 2
hours per week.
Weekly activities include:
- Making and posting a weekly action plan
- Participating in problem-solving and guided exercises on bulletin boards
- Participating in self-tests and activities