For people living with:
- Chronic Conditions
- Chronic Pain
- Cancer: Thriving and Surviving
We are offering online workshops so that you can access self-management information and support from your own home. These programs will not conflict with existing programs or treatment, they are designed to enhance regular treatment. The program gives you the skills to coordinate all the things needed to manage your health, as well as help you keep active in your life and relationships.
In these free, evidence-based programs designed for adults, you will learn about healthier ways to live, gain confidence and motivation to continue to manage your health challenges and feel more positive about your life. Family, friends and/or caregivers are encouraged to attend. Options include:
- Virtual Chronic Conditions Self-Management Program - For those living with any type of chronic health condition(s), such as arthritis, diabetes, heart disease, lung disease, and other ongoing health problems.
- Virtual Chronic Pain Self-Management Program - For those living with chronic pain - a pain that is present all of the time or most of the time for more than three months.
- Virtual Cancer: Thriving and Surviving Self-Management Program - For those living with cancer, those who have completed treatment, or anyone affected by cancer.
- Virtual Diabetes Self-Management Program - For those living with diabetes,
What happens in the program?
These virtual self-management programs consist of six sessions once a week for 2.5 hours per session. We recommend that you attend all six sessions of the workshop in order to gain the most benefit. You will meet online with a group of between 6 and 12 participants led by two trained peer volunteer leaders who will take you through different self-management activities. Sessions are highly interactive and topics include:
- Getting started with healthy eating and exercise
- Working with your health care team
- Communicating effectively
- Managing emotions such as frustration, fear, anger and depression
- Making decisions
- Setting weekly action plans
- Evaluating treatments
Participants receive either the Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Conditions resource book or, for the Chronic Pain program, the Living a Healthy Life with Chronic Pain book and the "Moving Easy Program" exercise CD.What will you need to participate?
Each session is delivered using a password secured, online Zoom® videoconferencing platform which is free to download. The workshops bring together participants and leaders for interactive learning sessions. You will need access to a computer, iPad, iPhone or android device with the Zoom® application downloaded, as well as a webcam and audio (phone or computer audio). Never tried an online workshop before? Don't worry - our staff will be contacting you to help you get started.
How do I get involved?
Please register for a workshop at the Upcoming Workshops page. You can join the workshop up to the second session.